Monday, March 10, 2014

Fish Stock

It has been a real journey to prepare some of the foods in preparation for transitioning over to the GAPS diet, especially the chicken and particularly the fish stock.

I never realized the nutrition that you can get from boiling the bones of animals and drinking the broth. Fish oil is supposed to be one of THE most nutritious broths so when Enoch brought home a 10 lb. trout from his ice fishing escapade, I thought I would try my hand at it.

The filleted and perfectly seasoned oven cooked fish turned out amazing. The fish broth turned out absolutely DISGUSTING!!! Please DO NOT make the same mistake that I made. The directions for making fish broth are to use mild, lean, white fish like halibut, cod or flounder. Fish to avoid are salmon, trout, mackerel, or other oily, fatty fish.

Being the frugal, adventurous people that we are we decided to try it anyway, just to see. Not only did my whole house permeate the disgusting smell of fish oils and I am still trying to get the smell of fish oil out of the rags I used for cleanup, I pray that I have not ruined my kids for life on trying fish broth again when I make it the right way. Please forgive me children.

As I have searched for the "right" kind of fish to make the fish broth out of, I am learning that it is EXTREMELY expensive--around $10/lb. Someone suggested that I go to an Asian market and see if I can buy a fish head. I have not made it there yet, but making fish broth has proved to be an exciting adventure!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment